Monday, February 07, 2005

Review Doom Bar cask conditioned ale

from Sharp's, Rock, Wadebridge, in Cornwall and consumed in Stockton, Wiltshire. 4.8%abv.

This is what I think the best of UK ale is all about. The colour is amber, though the nose is floral and lifted like the much lighter summer ales. A really fresh, hoppy nose with fruity notes as well. Firm and refreshing palate.

I always think with the classic English ales that it is really a fine balance between being clean and sharp on the finish (which makes them excellent with food) and going over the top and twisting one's tongue into knots. The Doom Bar, which I've never seen before (not even in Cornwall) hits the mark precisely. I am not one of those who can vouch that every location or keg will be subtley different, but I can say it made me go back for seconds.

post by Roger Palmer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home