Saturday, June 25, 2005

Mr Riggs Shiraz 2003 (review)

91+ points

McLaren Vale, South Australia. 15%

Wow. Super intense smoky oak (French mainly) aromas herald an absolute giant of a wine. From the super hot 2003 vintage this is masterly wine making in a high alcohol style. I feared overt added acidity, but I can't taste it. Drinkable - just... match with hearty food.

At less than one tenth the price of Penfold's Grange this is a flagship for this new style of wines picked for optimum flavour ripeness - which in Australia can mean very big wines indeed.

In spite of the rave above I have very little idea how this wine will age. Personally I don't trust the 2003 vintage but will be looking out for the 2004 version of this wine - I'm intruiged to see how such a wine will age.

1 Comments:

Blogger wine dog said...

I agree with Byron here. I really like his Grenache and Grenache blends- same description as the Shiraz, with a bit less new oak. Good wines and good value.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home