Saturday, January 14, 2006

Kilikanoon Covenant Shiraz 2002

90 points (perhaps)

Clare Valley, South Australia. 14.5%

I'm giving this high points because of the deep varied aromas. It's a powerful and concentrated wine without being flat on its feet. That said it is hard to call it as fine and balanced when the mint toffee sweet oak is so apparent. I'm betting this will fade and at around 6-8 years of age will be a more palatable, and still impressive, wine.

Though, given the risk that I might be wrong, and given the price of around $35 I think I'd advise seeking out other Clare and indeed Kilakanoon wines rather than buying this. Unless of course that you really like confectionary oak.

1 Comments:

Blogger wine dog said...

I think Clare offers good value in the Shiraz stakes. At ANZMAC, we blind tasted 10 Shiraz and the Pikes 2002 at about $25 came out on top, just shading the Charlie Melton 2000. I prefer less newoak barrel character myself.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home