Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Tim Adams Shiraz 2001 (review)

84 points

From Clare Valley, South Australia. 14%

Nice, spicey. An Australian take on some Southern Rhone/ Provence wines. With sweet fruit and alcohol and a touch of dried herbs. Reeks of Summer. The label says 100% shiraz, but it has a structure of a blend (featuring some grenache).

Some will like this wine more than I - I'm not a fan of grenache style wines. But I admired the freshness of this wine. Sure it doesn't have great concentration, and it's hitting its peak already, but it is a fun, if eventually cloying, drop now. Needs to be matched appropriately with food, and preferably shared with friends.

I'm somewhat surprised to find this 2001 vintage on retail shelves still. A$19 at Melbourne Street Wine Cellars, Adelaide, South Australia.

The 2003 is the latest release. The review I read said it is brawny - 2003 being a very hot vintage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home