Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Lenswood 2002 Pinot Noir (review)

86 points

I had to drink a Pinot while watching the movie, Sideways. We have quite a bit of this wine as a gift from Janet's old job and I like it a lot. Though I think I would like it less if I were paying $40+ a bottle for it! When first opened I was a bit disappointed- the nose was very tight and the flavours muted. I thought maybe there was slight cork taint. After an hour or so (I was busy watching the movie), it really began to open up. It still is quite tannic for a Pinot and certainly not as subtle as the ones Miles was raving about in the film. It has some fruit and a lot of earthiness on the nose, very clean and not very French. It does, however, have incredible length, with the flavours just lasting and lasting. It is definitely an Aussie Pinot, but one with some elegance, a very good structure and natural acidity. It should be very interesting in another 5 years or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home